Tuesday, April 26, 2011

April 7, 2011: Las Vegan III

July 3, 2015: Las Vegan have announced that they're closing the cafe and going to focus exclusively on catering from now on - we've sampled their catering before and it's great.

Las Vegan changed management a few months ago and I can happily report that it's looking good.  It's casual and unpretentious (though I suppose offering mock meat is technically pretentious!) and not as hippy-dippy as I always assume it will be.  Michael and I stopped by for dinner before a Thursday night comedy show.  The staff were incredibly friendly, although not entirely efficient; our meals arrived promptly so I was content.

Michael had the T & T salad ($10), a garden salad featuring bean shoots, chunks of tofu and tempeh and satay sauce.  He nominates the satay-slathered tempeh pieces as the highlight and was happy that it all tasted pretty healthy.

I went for the snitzel & chips ($10), which was served with more garden salad.  I really liked the proportions here - a modest and non-greasy piece of crumbed mock meat topped with chunky tomato sauce, then oodles of fresh veg and a satisfying serve of chunky skin-on chips with plenty of dipping sauce.  I hear these snitzels are a real knock-out in burger form too.

This is the kind of not-entirely-junk food I like making at home: burgers, chips, salads and sauces... there are also beans, mock mince and rice balls elsewhere on the menu.  With good execution and very reasonable prices, I may start relying on Las Vegan for those meals on my too-lazy-to-cook nights.

____________


We've previously blogged about Las Vegan here and here.
____________

Las Vegan
22 Smith St, Collingwood
9415 9001
veg mains $9-15
http://www.lasvegan.com.au/

Accessibility: Pretty good - reasonable entry, plenty of space around tables, order at the table and pay at a low-ish counter.  We haven't visited the toilets.

2 comments:

  1. just discovered you yesterday...i have a food blog & live in bris. i love melb very much & your blog will help me not pine for the place so much! dayle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, dayle! We're originally from Brisbane ourselves, so I'll enjoy browsing your blog for similar reasons. :-)

    ReplyDelete