Friday, April 19, 2013

Dainty Sichuan

April 14, 2013


Cindy and I have harboured vague intentions to visit Dainty Sichuan since Claire posted a glorious picture of the fish-flavoured eggplant some years back. We weren't really sure how much else on the menu would be that exciting for vegetarians, so we held off for a while and then just kind of forgot about it... at least until vegan about town and The Simple Eater both wrote great reviews of all the veggie dishes on offer. Our enthusiasm renewed, we headed across town to meet up with a small group of friends and sample as much spicy goodness as we could handle. 

Dainty Sichuan is big but popular, so making a booking is probably wise - they weren't full to bursting on the Sunday night we attended, but there are plenty of reports of people having to queue to get a table, so I wouldn't take any chances. The interior is pleasant without being very atmospheric - just lots of people and a strong scent of chilli oil (and a rather odd photo of a shirtless man slamming Sichuan food, which is sadly just out of show below).


The menu is pretty meaty, but there are easily enough vegetarian dishes to feed a big group - our group of six we didn't even order all the options available and we still ended up with uneaten leftovers. Almost all the vegetarian dishes are vegan (except for the ones that are obviously eggy) - everything we ate was suitable for vegans. We had a couple of criteria for ordering: I wanted the mapo tofu (minus the pork) and Cindy wanted at least one serve of the eggplant. Having made that clear, we left the choices to one of our group who knew the menu well and ordered for the table.

The first two dishes to arrive were the tasty cold noodle (chilli oil and sichuan pepper, $6.80) and the black fungus with wild chilli (pickled chilli, $13.80). I was a bit sceptical about both - cold noodles? Hmm. Weird fungusy things? Double hmm. My fears were misplace though - the cold noodles was one of my favourite dishes of the night, bursting with the distinctive tingly spiciness of sichuan peppers and loaded up with nuts and a few herbs. The sauce was king here - I wound up pouring the leftovers on my rice.


The fungus dish was pretty great as well (at least if you can handle the texture, which isn't Cindy's thing at all). It had a much sharper heat than the noodles, and was among the hottest dishes of the night. I probably wouldn't order a whole serve for myself, but quite enjoyed the few scoops that I chowed down.

The rest of the dishes all came out in a bit of a flurry. First up, Ma Po Tofu (chilli and sichuan pepper, minus the pork mince, $19.80)


Look at all that chilli oil! I was in heaven. Cindy found it all a bit much, so tread carefully if you're not big on spiciness, but I thought it was excellent - oily, a bit sweet and bursting with sichuan pepper goodness.

Fish flavoured eggplant (pickled chilli, sweet and sour, $19.80):


This was another massive success - the batter is sweet and a little bit crispy but with a strong kick in there somewhere. The eggplant itself is just a vessel for all the wonderful flavours wrapped around them, but that's probably eggplants best role anyway. Go there. Order this. That's the key message of this review.

And while you're there, order this: tofu threads with (Chinese) leek ($20.80).


This is a milder dish, but one that I loved - something about the way they cook the tofu makes it incredibly delicious. I think oil is involved again. Being Dainty Sechuan, it's still got a bit of a chilli kick (especially if you don't pick the actual chillies out), but the flavours are a bit more subtle.

Who could resist something called potato threads with hot capsicum ($17.80)? Not us. Oily fried strings of potato with a pretty potent sauce and lots of chillies dotted throughout. Yum. Although probably another dish it's best to share with a group.


And finally, in a vain gesture towards healthiness: stir-fried seasonal green vegetables (the menu says seasonal price, and we forgot to get an itemised receipt).


This was fine, but really a bit of a waste - we were all too focussed on the culinary fireworks going off in our mouths to spend much time on a plate of plain greens. I'd skip it and order more eggplant next time. 

In my roundup of other blog reviews (see below) I came across a pretty steady stream of complaints about the service at Dainty - while our service wouldn't win prizes, it was efficient and at least passably friendly. And even shoddy service would be worth putting up with for the food - we'll definitely be visiting again (or even checking out the city location).
____________

vegan about town and The Simple Eater have also given Dainty Sichuan the thumbs up from a meat-free perspective.

There are loads of other positive reviews as well, although lots of them mention pretty mediocre service - check out Babameswara, melbourne gastronome, doublecooked, food.loves.my.mouth, sooks-food-notes, Let Me Feed You: Melbourne, peach-water, The Ortolan's Last Meal, tirache, Diary of a Pampered Housewife, mochii eats, Mouth to Mouth, Welcome to I-Destination, The Chronicles of Ms I-Hua, Almost Always Ravenous, Feed Me Australia, Off the spork, half-eaten, Lady Noms, Sharking for chips and drinks, Ipoh Mali Talak Sombong, I'm Hungry, the indolent cook, Melbourne Food Review, EAT AND BE MERRY FOR TOMORROW WE DIE(T), MEL: HOT OR NOT, One Fat CowLet's Get Fat Together, Addictive and consuming, JOSHUAONGYS, cookbook, bookeat, Tales of a confectionist, because I can't cook, Food for your; stomach, confessions of a little piggy, Food of the Soul, Conversation with Jenny, Gastronomical ramblings and Gastrology.

Melbourne Culinary Journal was the only blog I could find who were really not very impressed.

____________

Dainty Sichuan
176 Toorak Road, South Yarra
9078 1686
vegetarian dishes: $6.80-$19.80

Accessibility: There's a handful of steps up to the entry. Things are relatively spread out when you enter, but the tables are jammed pretty tightly and things all feel a bit crowded. We didn't visit the toilets.

14 comments:

  1. Yes yes yes the potato (土豆丝) is one of my favourite dishes in the whole world. I also love the mushroom and kangkung thing, and I'm so excited that you liked the cold dishes - I think that in Australia a lot of our Chinese food definitely moves away from those sorts of dishes, but they're really amazing, the way the coldness highlights the chilli flavour. I wish more restaurants offered those dishes! As I mentioned the other day, really glad the experience there was good. Try out the city location and compare! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph - the cold dishes are definitely a new experience for us. It'll be no chore to continue on to the city Dainty, and also the cold noodles at Gong de Lin. :-)

      Delete
  2. Cold black fungus, yes yes yes! I love black fungus, so am intrigued by that dish alone. Dainty Sichuan has been on my 'must visit' list for so long that it's actually a bit embarrassing, hopefully I'll get a chance to go there soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share your embarrassment, Hayley - that melbourne gastronome post is more than two years old. As someone drawn in by deep-fried eggplant, I am a little mystified by your cold black fungus love. :-P

      Delete
  3. The first time I went to Dainty, it was the Toorak one, and I wasn't a fan (too oily and spicy for me, haha), but since then I've discovered Fushcia Dunlop books and have become really addicted to Sichuan food! I like the one in the city best - there are heaps of seats so you almost never have to make a booking, and the staff are really friendly. Last time we got hotpot (I don't think there's a veggo option for that sadly, as it's chicken stock) and the waitress was incredibly nice and patient explaining to us how it worked and what we needed to do.

    PS that shredded potato thing is really easy to make at home ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Glad to know the city one's good, it's generally a bit more convenient for us. Thanks for the tip on that potato thing, we should give it a go and team it with the mapo tofu already in our repertoire. :-)

      Delete
  4. Ohhhhhh Sichuan food is one of my favouritestestest cuisine to eat in Melb, and I've had many good memories eating at Dainty Sichuan. Not most people's first choice but it's still a place I'd be more than happy to revisit any day. It's great, I enjoyed all those dishes you've eaten there. Although, I am a *bit* of a chilli wuss and have had to ask them to prepare "mild" version for the dishes haha. oops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winston, I'm so glad I'm not the only chilli wuss! I could handle most of these dishes, though the mapo tofu just about finished me off. Meanwhile a table next to us had an entire platter of dried chillis on the side for a bit of extra oomph...!

      Delete
  5. This place certainly stands out from the mish mash of other Cantonese-inclined Chinese restaurants. It's very good, but actually could be hotter. If you manage to ever visit Chengdu or Yichang, of course nothing will beat that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MoMo and Coco! Oh dear god, I don't think I could handle it hotter. :-P

      Delete
  6. Last went there 6 months ago and had the eggplant and the tofu strip/leek dishes you guys ordered, along with an incredible cold dish of pickled cucumbers with chilli/coriander/shitloads of oil. I think I'll have all those dishes again next time, too. Sooo good.

    Not sure it's worthwhile complaining about service in a Chinese restaurant. Bit like going to Disneyland and complaining about Mickey Mouse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Fred! I noticed those cucumbers on a nearby table (and in a couple of blog reviews). We'll have to order them next time.

      Delete
  7. I recently went to the new city location. The fit-out there is more sophisticated, and the menu is mostly the same but there are some differences. The eggplant dish there is more of a stew, still tasty but I prefer the South Yarra version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi leaf! Thanks for those observations, it will be a pleasure to try the city version of the eggplant for the sake of the blog. ;-)

      Delete